PhD Admissions January 2014
Online Application will be available at http://phd.iisertvm.ac.in/ from
September 30, 2013
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting January 2014.
Biological Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- Master’s degree in Biological/ Chemical/ Physical/ Mathematical/ Bioinformatics/ Agricultural/ Veterinary/ Allied Medical Sciences or a Bachelor’s degree in Medicine with a minimum 60% marks or CGPA 6.0 on a scale of 10, or equivalent is desirable.
- Qualifying in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st January 2014, CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ICAR-JRF /ICMR JRF or in a written aptitude test conducted at IISER-TVM is required.
- Candidates who have NOT qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ICAR-JRF/ICMR-JRF will be asked, if shortlisted, to first appear for a written aptitude test, in General Biology or Ecology, conducted at IISER-TVM. The written test will consist of questions at the Master’s level in Biological Sciences (Ecology or General Biology) and + 2 level in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- All candidates who qualify either the IISER-TVM written aptitude test or CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ICAR-JRF/ICMR JRF national test WILL HAVE to appear for interviews at IISER-TVM.
- The final selection will be solely based on the performance in interviews.
- Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour (Group 1 and Group 2),
- Eukaryotic cell Biology
- Molecular Structural Biology,
- Genetics and Genomics,
- Cell signaling, Immunology,
- Patterning, stem cells and regeneration of plants,
- Prokaryotic Cell Biology, Microbiology,
- Centromere and chromosome biology,
- Developmental Biology and Neurobiology.
For more details please visit
Chemical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in Chemical Sciences with 60% marks or equivalent.
- The candidate must have qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF/GATE examinations valid as on 1st August 2013 or INSPIRE Ph. D. fellowship for Ph.D.
- Previous research experience and quality publications will be considered as an added qualification.
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview.
- Inorganic and organometallic chemistry,
- Organic synthesis, Medicinal chemistry, Carbohydrate chemistry, Chemical Biology
- Organic Synthesis/DNA Nanotechnology/Supramolecular Chemistry,
- Protein structure determination through NMR spectroscopy,
- Photochemistry, Photophysics, Nanomaterials,
- Material Chemistry,
- Biomass conversion
- Theoretical Chemistry
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy
Mathematical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy any one of the following criteria:
Master’s degree in Mathematics / Statistics / in a relevant area of science with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) and a valid CSIR-UGC-JRF/NBHM/GATE/INSPIRE Ph.D Fellowship as on 01 January 2014.
Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) with valid GATE score as on 01 January 2013.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0 (or 65% of marks), an appearance in the Indian National Math Olympiad (INMO) in class XI or XII, and a valid CSIR-UGC-JRF/NBHM/GATE as on 01 January 2014.
Applicants satisfying the above eligibility criteria will be called for a written test and interview. The selection will be based on the performance in the written test as well as the interview.
NBHM JRF candidates will be called directly for the interview.
(1) Functional Analysis (2) Partial Differential Equations (PDEs) (3) Control Theory (4) Mathematical Fluid Dynamics (5) Image Processing using PDEs (6) Stochastic Processes (7) Group Theory (8) Commutative Algebra (9) Homological Algebra (10) Mathematical Finance (11) Financial Engineering (12) Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computing (13) Computational Fluid Dynamics.
Physical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- Master’s degree in Physical Sciences, Materials Science, Engineering or Technology, in areas closely related to the interests of the physics faculty at IISER TVM. 60% marks or equivalent is desirable.
- Qualifying in one of the following national level examination with validity as on 1st January 2014: GATE/CSIR-UGC-JRF/JEST-2013/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship
Note: Applicants with M. Tech need a GATE score valid as of 1st January 2013.
- Quantum phase transition, superconductivity,
- Magnetism, superconductivity, Material Sythesis &Characterization
- Low temperature transport in semiconductor nanoscale Devices,
- Electrical transport along Nanoscale Schottky Junctions,
- 2-dimensional Hybrid nano structures
- Photonics, Thermoelectrics,Physics of devices such as Solar cells, LEDs, FETs
- Applicants should complete the online application form by going to the following URL: http://phd.iisertvm.ac.in/
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, proof of date of birth, mark-list, and community certificate online.
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of at least two referees in the application form. Applicants should download the Referee Report Form here and forward them to the concerned referees. The completed reports should be submitted by the candidates, directly at the time of attending the selection interviews.
- GE/OBC [SC/ST] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 200/- [Rs. 100/-] as processing fee through the Powerjyoti Account .
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique application number.
- Short-listed applicants will be invited for an aptitude-test/interview at IISER-TVM.
- Last date for the submission of the online application is October 25, 2013.
|Online Application will be available at http://phd.iisertvm.ac.in/ from||
September 30, 2013
|Last date of receipt of the application form||
October 25, 2013
Announcement of shortlisted candidates on the Institute’s website http://www.iisertvm.ac.in
October 28, 2013
Written test and Interview for the short-listed candidates in Biological Sciences
December 3 – 4, 2013
Interview for the short-listed candidates in Chemical sciences
December 2 – 3, 2013
Written test and Interview for the short-listed candidates in Mathematical sciences
November 29 – 30, 2013
Interview for the short-listed candidates in Physical sciences
November 29 – 30, 2013
Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview.