PhD Admissions January 2015
PhD Admissions January 2015
Online Application will be available at http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/ from 8th October 2014.
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting January 2015.
Biological Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria.
Master’s degree in Biological/ Chemical/ Physical/ Mathematical/ Bioinformatics/ Agricultural/ Veterinary/ Allied Medical Sciences or a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine with a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10, or equivalent is desirable.
Eligibility for Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour (EEB)
Qualify in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st January 2015, CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF*/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ICAR-JRF* /ICMR JRF*/GATE (Ecology and Evolution EY; Rank 1to 60) /JGEEBILS#* Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to draw fellowships from Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) institutions, qualify under criteria 1.# JGEEBILS qualified candidates will be shortlisted based on their rank and may apply ONLY after receiving an e-mail confirmation from IISER-TVM
- A written test will be conducted at IISER-TVM for candidates who do not meet Criteria 1 above. The written test will consist of multiple choice questions at Masters level including topics in ecology, evolution, behavior, general biology as well as reasoning and analytical questions. Candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their performance in the written test. The written test in EEB will not be considered for admission to other research areas in biology.
Shortlisted candidates who satisfy criteria 1 above, will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM.The final selection of candidates will solely be based on performance in interviews.
Eligibility for other areas of Biological Sciences
Qualifying in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st January 2015. CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF*/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ICAR-JRF*/ICMR JRF*/JGEEBILS#
* Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to draw fellowships from Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) institutions, qualify under criteria 1.
# JGEEBILS qualified candidates will be shortlisted based on their rank and may apply ONLY after receiving an e-mail confirmation from IISER-TVM.
Shortlisted Candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM.NO written test will be conducted for admission to research areas other than EEB.The final selection of candidates will solely be based on performance in interviews.
For more details please visit http://www.iisertvm.ac.in/research/school/biology
Chemical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria.
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in Chemical Sciences with 60% marks or equivalent.
- The candidate must have qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF/GATE examinations valid as on 1st January 2015 or INSPIRE Ph. D. fellowship for Ph.D.
- Previous research experience and quality publications will be considered as an added qualification.
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview.
Mathematical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy any one of the following criteria
- Master’s degree in Mathematics / Statistics / in a relevant area of science with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) and
- Qualified for CSIR/UGC-JRF/GATE/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship/NBHM PhD Fellowship, valid as on 01 January 2015.
- Qualified NBHM PhD Fellowship Test 2014 with a score of 20 or above.
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) with valid GATE score as on 01 January 2014.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0 (or 65% of marks), an appearance in the Indian National Math Olympiad (INMO) in class XI or XII, and a valid CSIR-UGC-JRF/NBHM/GATE as on 01 January 2015.
Applicants satisfying the above eligibility criteria will be called for a written test and interview. The selection will be based on the performance in the written test as well as the interview.
All eligible NBHM candidates need not appear for the written test and may directly appear for the interview.
(1) Functional Analysis (2) Partial Differential Equations (PDEs) (3) Control Theory (4) Mathematical Fluid Dynamics (5) Image Processing using PDEs (6) Stochastic Processes (7) Group Theory (8) Commutative Algebra (9) Homological Algebra (10) Mathematical Finance (11) Financial Engineering (12) Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computing (13) Computational Fluid Dynamics.
Physical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- Master’s degree in Physical Sciences, Materials Science, Engineering or Technology, in areas closely related to the interests of the physics faculty at IISER TVM. 60% marks or equivalent is desirable.
- Qualifying in one of the following national level examination with validity as on 1st January 2015: GATE#/CSIR-UGC-JRF/JEST-2014*/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship
# Applicants with M. Tech need a GATE score valid as of 1st January 2014.
- Applicants should complete the online application form by going to the following URL: http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, signature, community certificate and national level examination (CSIR/NBHM/Inspire etc) online.
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of two referees in the application form.
- Applicants should download the Referee Report Form here and forward them to the concerned referees. The completed reports should be obtained in sealed envelopes and be submitted by the candidates, directly while attending the selection interviews.
- GE/OBC [SC/ST/PH] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 200/- [Rs. 100/-] as processing fee through the Powerjyoti Account.
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique application number.
- Applicants are NOT required to post hard copy of the application to IISER-TVM.
|Online Application will be available at http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/ from||8 October, 2014|
|Last date of receipt of the application form||29 October, 2014|
|Announcement of shortlisted candidates on the Institute’s website http://www.iisertvm.ac.in||31 October, 2014|
|Written test and Interview for the short-listed candidates in Biological Sciences||1 – 3 December 2014|
|Interview for the short-listed candidates in Chemical Sciences||9 – 10 December 2014|
|Written test and Interview for the short-listed candidates in Mathematical Sciences||3 – 4 December 2014|
|Interview for the short-listed candidates in Physical sciences||1 – 2 December 2014|
Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview