PhD Admissions August 2013
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting August 2013.
Biological Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- Master’s degree in Biological/ Chemical/ Physical/ Mathematical/ Bioinformatics/ Agricultural/ Veterinary/ Allied Medical Sciences or a Bachelor’s degree in Medicine with a minimum 60% marks or CGPA 6.0 on a scale of 10, or equivalent is desirable.
- Qualifying in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st August 2013, CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ICAR-JRF /ICMR JRF or in a written aptitude test conducted at IISER-TVM is required.
- Candidates who have NOT qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ICAR-JRF/ICMR-JRF will be asked, if shortlisted, to first appear for a written aptitude test, in General Biology or Ecology, conducted at IISER-TVM.The written test will consist of questions at the Master’s level in Biological Sciences (Ecology or General Biology) and + 2 level in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- All candidates who qualify either the IISER-TVM written aptitude test or CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ICAR-JRF/ICMR JRF national test WILL HAVE to appear for interviews at IISER-TVM.
- The final selection will be solely based on the performance in interviews.
- Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour (Group 1 and Group 2),
- Eukaryotic cell Biology
- Molecular Structural Biology,
- Genetics and Genomics,
- Cell signaling, Immunology,
- Patterning, stem cells and regeneration of plants,
- Prokaryotic Cell Biology, Microbiology,
- Centromere and chromosome biology,
- Developmental Biology and Neurobiology.
For more details please visit
Chemical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in Chemical Sciences with 60% marks or equivalent.
- The candidate must have qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF/GATE examinations valid as on 1st August 2013 or INSPIRE Ph. D. fellowship for Ph.D.
- Previous research experience and quality publications will be considered as an added qualification.
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview.
- Inorganic and organometallic chemistry,
- Organic Synthesis/DNA Nanotechnology/Supramolecular Chemistry,
- Protein structure determination through NMR spectroscopy,
- Photochemistry, Photophysics, Nanomaterials,
- Material Chemistry,
- Biomass conversion
Mathematical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy any one of the following criteria:
- Master’s degree in Mathematics / Statistics / in a relevant area of science with desired CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) and a valid CSIR-UGC-JRF/NBHM/GATE/INSPIRE Ph.D. as on 1st August 2013.
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with desired CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) with valid GATE score as on 1st August 2012.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a desired CPI of 7.0 (or 65% of marks), an appearance in the Indian National Math Olympiad (INMO) in class XI or XII, and a valid CSIR-UGC-JRF/NBHM/GATE as on 1st August 2013.
Shortlisted applicants will be called for both the written test and interview. The final selection will be solely based on the performance in the written test and interview.
NBHM qualified candidates will be directly called for interview.
(1) Number theory (2) Combinatorics (3) Linear Algebra (4) Functional Analysis (5) Partial Differential Equations (PDE) (6) Control Theory (7) Navier-Stokes equations (8) Image processing using PDE (9) Stochastic Processes (10) Mathematical Finance (11) Financial Engineering (12) Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computing
Physical Sciences: Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- Master’s degree in Physical Sciences, Materials Science, Engineering or Technology, in areas closely related to the interests of the physics faculty at IISER TVM. 60% marks or equivalent is desirable.
- Master’s degree in Chemistry with relevant specialization (e.g. Physical Chemistry, Materials Chemistry etc.) will be considered specifically in the research area: Photonics, Semiconductor physics & devices, Solar cells, thermoelectric
- Qualifying in one of the following national level examination with validity as on 1st August 2013: GATE/CSIR-UGC-JRF/JEST-2013/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship
Note: Applicants with M. Tech need a GATE score valid as of 1st August 2012.
JEST qualified candidates: Please refer to the instructions provided in the email from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Quantum phase transitions, vortex state of superconductors,
Quantum Transport in Nano-scale Devices,
Optical Spectroscopy of Magnetic and Semiconducting Materials,
Nanoscale materials & devices, Energy Storage,
- Photonics, Semiconductor physics & devices, Solar cells, thermoelectric
Studies on Magnetic & Superconducting Material,
- ZnO Photonic devices & Nanoscale Schottky Junctions,
- Applicants should complete the online application form by going to the following URL: http://phd.iisertvm.ac.in/
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, proof of date of birth, mark-list, and community certificate online.
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of at least two referees in the application form.
- GE/OBC [SC/ST] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 200/- [Rs. 100/-] as processing fee through the Powerjyoti Account .
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique number.
- Short-listed applicants will be invited for an aptitude-test/interview at IISER-TVM.
- Last date for the submission of the online application is April 15, 2013.
|Last date of receipt of the application form||April 15, 2013 (1700 hrs [IST])|
|Announcement of shortlisted candidates on the Institute’s website http://www.iisertvm.ac.in||April 18, 2013|
|Written test and Interview for the short-listed candidates in Biological Sciences||May 9 – 11, 2013|
|Interview for the short-listed candidates in Chemical sciences||May 13 – 14, 2013|
|Written test and Interview for the short-listed candidates in Mathematical sciences||May 6 – 8, 2013|
|Interview for the short-listed candidates in Physical sciences||May 6 – 8, 2013|
Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview.