Ph.D. Admission August 2019
Online Application will be available here
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting August 2019.
Applicants must satisfy the following eligibility criteria:
- Master’s degree (A five-year degree after +2 level) in Biological Sciences/Chemical Sciences/Physical Sciences/Mathematics/ Bioinformatics/Agricultural Sciences/Veterinary Sciences or a Bachelor Degree in Medicine (MBBS). The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on 1st August 2019.
- The applicant must have a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10, or equivalent. A 5% relaxation on minimum marks will be allowed for SC, ST and PwD candidates. According to your mark list if your CGPA is not calculated on a scale of 10, please convert the CGPA to a scale of 10 and enter in the space provided. Please mention this in the remarks column [See point-1 under the heading "Important Points" below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- Qualification in one or more of the following national level tests with validity as on 1st August 2019: CSIR-UGC-JRF/ DBT-JRF (Category I)*/ ICMR-JRF*/ Ranks 1 to 100 in GATE (Ecology and Evolution)**/JGEEBILS (GS-2019)***. Candidates qualified for DST-Inspire PhD Fellowship are also eligible to apply [See point-2 under the heading "Important Points for all Schools" below for INSPIRE Ph. D Fellowship].
* Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to avail Category 1 DBT-Junior Research Fellowships tenable at any university/institution in India. Fellowships restricted to join DBT or ICMR sponsored projects are not eligible.
** GATE (EY) qualified candidates are eligible only for Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour. GATE exam scores for other subjects will not be considered for PhD admissions to School of Biology at IISER-TVM.
*** Candidates who have appeared for the JGEEBILS 2019 test are eligible to apply. JGEEBILS candidates will be shortlisted by IISER TVM PhD Applications shortlisting committee based on the marks provided by the JGEEBILS examination organizers.
It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit a short research proposal of 300-400 words, which should clearly state a research problem you find interesting to address and how you approach towards solving this. While applying online, please upload this proposal under the section "Statement of Purpose". Please note: the proposal does not need to be related to the research ongoing at the School of Biology, IISER-TVM. The proposal will be used to evaluate your scientific aptitude and will be a major criterion for short-listing candidates for the interview. Your application will be treated as incomplete if you do not submit the short research proposal.
Short-listed candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM. There will be two rounds of interviews, conducted over three days. In case of a high turnout of candidates, an entrance exam will be conducted (based on Master’s level Biology questions for 70% marks and 12th level Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry questions-together 30%) on the first day of interviews. Hence, all the short-listed candidates must report at IISER-TVM on the first day of the interviews. The final selection of candidates will solely be based on the performance during the interviews.
Research Areas in School of Biology open for Ph.D. students in this round of selection:
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in Chemical Sciences with 60% marks or equivalent [See point-1 under the heading "Important Points for all Schools" below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- The candidate must have qualified either of CSIR-JRF/UGC-JRF/GATE examinations valid as on August 2019 or DST INSPIRE PhD fellowship [See point-2 under the heading "Important Points for all Schools" below for INSPIRE PhD fellowship].
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview.
Research Topic / area
- Main Group Chemistry
- Macrocycles/ Planar Antiaromatic and Extended pi-conjugated systems
- Bioinspired Coordination and Organometallic Chemistry
- Inorganic-organic hybrid, Metal Nanocluster, catalysis
- Inorganic and Hybrid Materials Chemistry / Energy Storage-Batteries-Supercapacitors / Porous Materials-Gas Separation-Membranes
- Development of New Synthetic Strategies, C–H Activation/Functionalizations and Asymmetric Catalysis
- Asymmetric Total Synthesis, Asymmetric Catalysis, development of new methodologies, Medicinal Chemistry
- Organic synthesis, Asymmetric catalysis, Natural product synthesis, Cross-coupling reactions,
- Supramolecular Chemistry/DNA Nanotechnology
- Supramolecular Chemistry/Organic Synthesis/Chemical Biology
- Photochemistry and Photophysics, light-matter interaction at nanoscale
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy, Photophysics and Photochemistry, Physical Organic Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- Master’s degree in Physics, Materials Science or Engineering in areas closely related to the interests of the Physics faculty at IISER TVM. 60% marks or equivalent is required.
- Having qualified in one of the following national level examinations with validity as on 1st August 2019: GATE/CSIR-UGC-JRF/UGC NET-JRF/JEST-2019/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship [See point-2 under the heading "Important Points for all Schools" below for INSPIRE Ph. D Fellowship].
Positions are open in the following research areas:
- Semiconductor spin qubits
- Terahertz studies of correlated materials
- Semiconductor devices
- Organic/perovskite electronics
- String Theory/Supergravity
- Nonlinear Dynamics/Dynamics of Complex Networks
- Ballistic Transport in Nanocomposites
- Selective plane illumination microscopy or photoacoustic imaging
- Graphene Nanocomposite
- High temperature superconductivity
Applicants must satisfy any one of the following criteria
- Master's degree in Mathematics / Statistics / in a relevant area of science with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) [See point-1 under the heading “Important Points” below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria] and
- Qualified for CSIR/UGC-JRF/GATE/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship/NBHM JRF Fellowship, valid as on 01 August 2019 [See point-2 under the heading “Important Points for all Schools” below for INSPIRE Ph. D fellowship].
- Qualified NBHM JRF Scholarship Written Exam 2019 and have received the NBHM interview call letter
- Master's degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) with valid GATE score as on 01 August 2019.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0 (or 65% of marks), and a CSIR-UGC-JRF/NBHM JRF (or qualified NBHM JRF Scholarship Written Exam 2019 and have received the NBHM interview call letter) /GATE Fellowship valid as on 01 August 2019.
Based on the number of applications received, the applicants will be shortlisted for a written test and/or an interview.
The selection will be based on the performance of the candidate in the written test and/or the interview. The syllabus for the written test/interview can be found here
- Algebra, Number Theory &Geometry: Linear Algebra, Group Theory, Commutative Algebra, Homological Algebra,Number Theory
- Analysis: Functional Analysis/Numerical Functional Analysis, Harmonic Analysis, Wavelet Analysis, Complex Dynamics, Ergodic Theory, Dynamical Systems
- Applied Analysis: Partial Differential Equations (PDEs), Control Theory, Image Processing using PDEs, Stochastic PDEs, Mathematical Finance, Financial Engineering, Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computing, Mathematical and Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computational Sciences: Numerical Functional Analysis/Mathematical Finance/Financial Engineering/Mathematical Biology/Data Science Research/Applied Cryptography
Important points for all schools:
- Normal relaxation to the eligibility criteria will be applicable as per government of India guidelines.
- Candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for obtaining INSPIRE PhD fellowship as per the DST guidelines can also apply. In the event of shortlisting, and successful clearing of interview, the candidate shall be provisionally admitted for the PhD program. The admission shall be cancelled, if the candidate is unable to provide evidence for INSPIRE PhD fellowship at the time of registration.
- Applicants should complete the online application form in the url http://appserv.iisertvm.ac.in/phd
- [Only Properly submitted applications would be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not forget to click the “submit” button after completing your application]
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents online.
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of two referees in the application form.
- GE/OBC [SC/ST/PH] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 500/- [Rs. 250/-] as processing fee through the https://www.onlinesbi.com/prelogin/icollecthome.htm
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique application number.
- Applicants are NOT required to post hard copy of the application to IISER-TVM.
- In case of any application related queries, please contact by email, addressed to the PhD coordinator [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Other mode of communication will not be entertained.
- Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview.
|Opening of online application portal
||01st March 2019
|Last date for receipt of online applications
||30th April 2019
|Ph.D. interview dates for School of Biology
||27-29th May 2019
|Ph.D. interview dates for School of Chemistry
||20-21st June 2019
|Ph.D. interview dates for School of Mathematics
||18-19th June 2019
|Ph.D. interview dates for School of Physics
||12-13th June 2019
|Reporting time for all candidates
||8.30am on the first day of the interview
||IISER Thiruvananthapuram, Vithura Campus