PhD Admissions January 2017
Online Application will be available at http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research– Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting January 2017.
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria.
- Master's degree (Five-year degree after +2 level) in Biological/Chemical/Physical/Mathematical/Bioinformatics/Agricultural/Veterinary/Pharmcy/Nursing or a Bachelor's Degree in Medicine (MBBS). The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on January 1st, 2017.
- 2. The applicant must have a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10, or equivalent (55% or CGPA 6/10 for SC/ST candidates). According to your mark list if your CGPA is not calculated on a scale of 10, please convert the CGPA to a scale of 10 and enter in the space provided. Please mention this in the remarks column. [See point-1 under the heading "Important Points" below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria]
- 3. Qualification in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st January 2017: CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF (Category I)*/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ ICMR-JRF*/GATE-(EY) (Rank 1 to 80)** /JGEEBILS (GS-2015)*** [See point-2 under the heading "Important Points" below for INSPIRE Ph. D fellowship].
* Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to avail Category 1 DBT-Junior Research Fellowships tenable at any university/institution in India and is not restricted to join only DBT sponsored projects
** GATE (EY) qualified candidates are eligible only for Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour. GATE exam scores for other subjects will not be considered for PhD admissions to IISER-TVM.
*** JGEEBILS qualified candidates will be shortlisted based on their marks and may apply ONLY after receiving an e-mail invitation from IISER-TVM. Please do not write to us asking for your JGEEBILS marks or ranks.
It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit a short research proposal, with a question or a problem clearly spelt out and how it would be addressed. The proposal should have a minimum of 350 words, but should not exceed 400 words. While applying online upload this proposal as No. 20 Statement of Purpose. This question does not need to be related to the research going on at School of Biology, IISER-TVM. The proposal will be used as one of the criteria for short-listing and your application will be treated incomplete if you do not submit the short research proposal.
Short-listed candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM. There will be two rounds of interviews, conducted over three days. In case of a high turn out of candidates above 75, an entrance exam will be conducted (based on Master's level Biology questions (70% marks) and 12th level Physics, Math, Chemistry questions (together 30%) on the first day of interview. Hence, all the short-listed candidates must report at IISER-TVM on the first day of the interviews. The final selection of candidates will solely be based on your performance in the interviews.
Research Areas in School of Biology open for PhD students:
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria.
- The candidate must have a Master's degree in Chemical Sciences with 60% marks or equivalent. The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on January 1st, 2017. [See point-1 under the heading "Important Points" below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- The candidate must have qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF/GATE examinations valid as on 1st January 2017or DST INSPIRE Ph. D. fellowship [See point-2 under the heading "Important Points" below for INSPIRE Ph. D fellowship].
- Previous research experience and quality publications will be considered as an added qualification.
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview
- Inorganic and organometallic chemistry,
- Organic synthesis, Medicinal chemistry, Carbohydrate chemistry, Chemical Biology
- Organic Synthesis/DNA Nanotechnology/Supramolecular Chemistry,
- Protein structure determination through NMR spectroscopy,
- Inorganic and Materials Chemistry
- Development of new synthetic strategies, C–H activations and Asymmetric catalysis
- Planar pi-conjugated and extended macrocyclic systems
- Photochemistry, Photophysics, Nanomaterials,
- Biomass conversion
- Theoretical Chemistry
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy
- Asymmetric synthesis and Catalysis
- Asymmetric coupling reactions
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- Master's degree in Physical Sciences, Materials Science, Engineering or Technology, in areas closely related to the interests of the physics faculty at IISER TVM. 60% marks or equivalent is desirable [See point-1 under the heading "Important Points" below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- Qualifying in one of the following national level examination with validity as on 1st January 2017: GATE^#/CSIR-UGC-JRF/JEST-2016/INSPIRE Ph.D Fellowship [See point-2 under the heading "Important Points" below for INSPIRE Ph. D fellowship]
# Applicants with M. Tech need a GATE score valid as of 1st January 2016.
|Magnetic, Electronic, and Superconducting Materials
|Quantum engineered QDs, OFET, and solid electrolyte gating
|Biomedical instrumentation and imaging: photoacoustic microscopy and tomography, development of LED-based low cost photoacoustic imaging system (instead of expensive pulse laser), photoacoustic system for imaging excitatory neurotransmitter (glutamate), speckle contrast
|Multifunctional nanostructured materials and energy applications
|Organic and organic -inorganic hybrid system for optoelectronics & spectroscopy. Conducting polymer/Biomolecule interface studies
|High temperature superconductivity, Quantum phase transitions, superconductivity in nano-clusters
Scanning Tunnelling Microscopy and
Magnetic Semiconductor and Thermoelectric Thin Films
|Ultrafast and Terahertz spectroscopy of 2-D layered materials
- Normal relaxation to the eligibility criteria will be applicable as per government of India guidelines.
- Candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for obtaining INSPIRE PhD fellowship as per the DST guidelines can also apply. In the event of shortlisting, and successful clearing of interview, the candidate shall be provisionally admitted for the PhD program. The admission shall be cancelled, if the candidate is unable to provide evidence for INSPIRE PhD fellowship at the time of registration.
- Applicants should complete the online application form in the url http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/
[Only Properly submitted applications would be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not forget to click the "submit" button after completing your application]
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, signature, community certificate and national level examination (CSIR/NBHM/Inspire etc) online
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of two referees in the application form.
- Applicants should download the Referee Report Form here and forward them to the concerned referees. The completed reports should be obtained in sealed envelopes and be submitted by the candidates, directly while attending the selection interviews.
- GE/OBC [SC/ST/PH] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 200/- [Rs. 100/-] as processing fee through the Powerjyoti Account.
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique application number
- Applicants are NOT required to post hard copy of the application to IISER-TVM.
- In case of any application related queries, please contact by email, addressed to the PhD coordinator [email@example.com]. Any other mode of communication will not be entertained
|Online Application will be available at http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/ from
||20th September 2016
|Last date of receipt of the application form
||17th October 2016 [17:00 hrs]
|Announcement of shortlisted candidates on the Institute's website http://www.iisertvm.ac.in
||20th October 2016
|Interview for the short-listed candidates Biological Sciences
||22-24 November 2016
|Interview for the short-listed candidates in Chemical Sciences
||2-3 December 2016
|Interview for the short-listed candidates in Physical sciences
||29-30 November 2016
Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview