About the Library
The Central Library of the institute supports the academic and research needs of the Institute community. The fully Wi-Fi enabled Central Library, acts as a knowledge hub of the institute, that facilitates access to online and print resources to its users.
This completely automated library facilitated with RFID based self-service-kiosk, mobile-based ‘m-Library Services,’ a plethora of online resources, etc. gives an enthralling library experience to the user community. 24X7 e-library provides access to wide range of e-resources, including full-text e-journal databases, e-journal archives, video journal, e-books, standards, bibliographic/review databases, etc. Resources subscribed by the institute is accessible to its users virtually from anywhere in the world, with suitable authentication using OpenAthens, thereby facilitating a global library experience.
The library's extensive online collection from most of the international scientific publishers and societies like Elsevier, SpringerNature, American Chemical Society, American Institute of Physics, American Mathematical Society, IEEE, Institute of Physics, Royal Society of Chemistry, John Wiley, American Association for Cancer Research, Annual Reviews, American Physical Society, American Society for Microbiology, Electro Chemical Society, Optical Society of America, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, American Society for Advancement of Science, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, etc. are accessible to the users Major bibliographic databases including, Web of Science, SciFinder, Reaxys, MathSciNet, J-Gate, etc. are also made available. Apart from the online resources, the library possesses print books, CD ROMs, thesis, reports, etc. in core and allied research areas.
The library also facilitates resources that help researchers in enhancing their research and scholarly documentation. Tools for plagiarism detection/originality checking, online grammar checking, document authentication, reference management, etc., are also part of the library collection.
The library portal and Online Public Access Catalog(OPAC) provides users with access to the collection and facilitates the online reservation and renewal of the print books.
The Central Library has affiliation in major library consortium/ network including E-ShodSindhu Consortium, IISER Library Consortium, and the Developing Library Network (DELNET).
Library Opening Hours
|Monday to Friday
||9.00 AM – 10.00 PM (Break 7.30 PM – 8.00 PM)
|Saturday / Sundays / Institute Holidays
||9.00 AM – 5.30 PM (Break 1.00PM - 1.30 PM)
Library remains open on all holidays except during January 26, August 15 and October 2.
Library Rules & Regulations
All permanent/temporary faculty and staff members, research scholars and students of the institute are eligible for membership in the institute library. Anybody else will not be permitted to use the library unless he/she can produce special written permission from the institute authority.
General Guidelines for using the Library Facilities
- Users must leave their bags and other belongings outside the Library. Only notebooks and papers are allowed inside the library. Library staff will not be held responsible for the loss of any personal belongings of users.
- Strict silence to be maintained in the library.
- Use of mobile phones, consumption of food and drinks are strictly prohibited inside the library.
- Users are encouraged to use the computers kept inside the library for accessing the library catalog, e-journals, e-books, and academic databases. Laptop can only be used in the designated place in the library.
- Mutilation of books in any form (e.g., underlining, writing on pages, tearing off pages, damaging the binding, etc.) will lead to a hefty fine or even replacement of the book. Before borrowing a book, users should ensure the condition of the book and bring to the notice of the library staff, if any mutilation is found.
- Users who lose/mutilate library books are liable to replace it with its latest edition along with a penalty of 20% of the total cost of the book. If the book is part of a set or series, they may be called upon to replace the whole set or series. In case the lost book is untraceable in the market or out of print, the Institute reserves the right to decide appropriate penalty.
- Users should create a user ID and password in the library portal to reserve, renew, and to check details of books borrowed by them. Up to three books can be reserved (hold) at a time, and once the reserved book is available in the library, users will be notified by an auto-generated email.
- Users should obey copyright regulations while accessing online resources (e-books, e-journals, databases, etc.). Details of the e-resources subscribed by the institute are available on the library website, which can be accessed from any computer, laptop, smartphone, etc., connected to the IISER TVM network.
- Students who go for project/internship in other institutes may request for a OpenAthens login for off campus access to the IISER TVM subscribed online resources for a fixed period of their internship.
- Resources like the library portal, Grammarly, Turnitin, SciFinder, Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations, and OpenAthens require password. Users may contact the library staff for obtaining their login IDs.
- Users must obtain the no dues clearance certificate from the library before they leave the institute due to the course completion, discontinuation, resignation, migration, etc. Users should submit their no dues clearance form well in advance to avoid unexpected delay in obtaining the clearance. Final year students should send a PDF copy of their thesis to library [AT] iisertvm.ac.in, before obtaining no due clearance from the library.
- Users should obey the library rules and regulations. Violation of rules and any act of misbehavior will be brought to the notice of the institute authority and will lead to intense disciplinary action.
Central Library members will get the following privileges in respect of lending books
- Faculty members can borrow 20 books for 6 months.
- Visiting Faculty/Permanent staff members /Temporary staff members /Consultants/, and Post Doctoral Fellows can borrow 10 books for 2 months
- Ph.D. students can borrow 4 books for 2 weeks. Ph.D. students, who have completed their course work can borrow 10 books for 60 days.
- IntPhD students can borrow 4 books for 2 weeks. IntPhD students, who have successfully completed their course work can borrow 10 books for 60 days.
- BS-MS students can borrow 4 books for 2 weeks.
- Some books may have a shorter loan period depending on their demand.
Guidelines for Issue/Return of books
- Users can borrow/return the books using the self-service kiosk installed in the library.
- Students must carry their identity cards, and it must be produced whenever asked for. Institute identity card, which serves as the library card, is mandatory for borrowing books from the library either through the self-service-kiosk or otherwise.
- Reference books, Journals, and Magazines are only for consultation within the Library and are not to be taken out of Library premise. Borrowed books are allowed to be taken to the library for return/renewal only.
- Borrowed books are non-transferable, and a borrower shall remain responsible for material issued to him/her until it is returned.
- Return of the borrowed book is mandatory before the due date. A fine of Rs.1/- per day per book for the first week of delayed return and Rs.10/- per day per book thereafter will be levied. Books can be renewed once, before the due date, if there is no pending reservation against it.
- A book may be recalled any time before the due date if it is urgently required by another user. A late fee of Rs.10/- per day per book will be imposed for the noncompliance with the requirement.
- Books will not be issued for those who are having overdue items. One user can reserve up to 3 books at a time.
- Users must return all the books they borrowed before they go on vacation. All users must, at the end of each semester, settle any overdue loans before they are permitted to borrow again.
- Newly added books will be displayed for reference for one week, users may reserve such books.
- All items need to be returned to the Library, for physical verification once in a year irrespective of the date of issue and category of users. Date of physical verification will be announced 2 weeks in advance.
- Reference textbook and borrowable books can be borrowed for overnight reference, half an hour before the closing time of the library and to be returned at 9 AM on the next working day. Only one book can be borrowed for overnight reference. A late fee of Rs. 50/- per day per book for the delayed return of such item will be charged.
- All library payment will be accepted online only, at periodic intervals.
Dr. Sainul Abideen P
Asst. Librarian & Officer in Charge (Library)
email: library [AT] iisertvm.ac.in
Phone: 0471 2778022