Prof. Kana M. Sureshan, FRSC, FASc
School of Chemistry
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research
Maruthamala P.O, Vithura
Thiruvananthapuram - 695551
Education and Experience
- 2020-Date: Professor, School of Chemistry, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- 2014-2019: Associate Professor, School of Chemistry, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- 2009-2014: Assistant Professor, School of Chemistry, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- 2008-2009 : Senior Scientist, Institute of Life Sciences, Hyderabad.
- 2006-2008 : AvH Post Doctoral Fellow : Max-Planck Institute for Molecular Physiology, Dortmund, Germany.
- 2004-2006 Research Officer : Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath, BATH, UK.
- 2002-2004 : JSPS Post-Doctoral Fellow : Faculty of Engineering, Ehime University, Japan.
- Ph.D National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
- M. Sc. Sree Narayana College (Affiliated to University of Calicut), Kannur.
- B. Sc. Payyanur College (Affiliated to University of Calicut), Payyanur.
Honors / Awards / Recognitions
- Technology Innovation Award, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Govt. of India (2020)
- Elected Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences (2020)
- Bhagyatara Award by Panjab University (2019)
- Author Profile Appeared in the International Journal, Angewandte Chemie (2018)
- Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry (2018): invited under the Leader of the Field Category
- Alexander von Humboldt return Fellowship (2018)
- Early Career Editorial Board Member: ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering (2017)
- MRSI Medal of Materials Research Society of India (2017)
- Bronze Medal of Chemical Research Society of India (2016)
- Young Scientist Award, YIM-Boston, MIT, USA (2015)
- Alexander von Humboldt return Fellowship (2014)
- Swarnajayanti Fellowship, DST, Govt. of India (2013)
- Ramanujan Fellowship, DST, Govt of India (2010)
- Cash award (20,000.00 US Dollars) for solving an innocentive challenge (InnoCentive 5636748) for designing the shortest and economical route to PA-824, a candidate drug for tuberculosis (2008).https://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/2852390 http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS230514+03-Dec-2008+MW20081203 http://www.innocentive.com/servlets/account/UserInfo.po?f=awarded&userName=kms http://blog.innocentive.com/2008/12/09/im-a-solver-kana-sureshan/
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship (2006-2008).
- Cash award for solving an innocentive challenge (InnoCentive 1116662) on chemistry (2003).
- JSPS Post-Doctoral Fellowship for Foreign researchers (2002-2004).
- Senior Research Fellowship of CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research), New Delhi, Govt. of India (1999-2002) .
- Junior Research Fellowship of CSIR, New Delhi, India (1997-1999).
- Cleared Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (conducted jointly by IITs, 1996).
Memberships in Professional Bodies
1. Early Career Editorial Board Member: ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering (2017-2018)
2. Member of American Chemical Society
3. Life Member of Chemical Research Society of India
4. Life Member of Material Research Society of India
5. Member of Royal Society of Chemistry, Unigted Kingdom
6. Life Member of Association of Carbohydrate Chemists and Technologists, India
7. Life Member, Society for Polymer Science, India.
ACADEMIC VISIT TO FOREIGN INSTITUTES/UNIVERSITIES
- April 2018-July 2018: Short term Collaborative Research Stay at Technical University Braunschweig, Germany
- April 2014-july 2014: Short term Collaborative Research Stay at Regensburg University, Germany